What is the best car battery charger in the market?
Whether you own a small shop or are a car enthusiast, you know that getting a good battery charger is a smart investment.
We’ve all had the experience of coming out to our car to turn it on, only to find out that the battery is dead.
There are a couple of different types of machines you can get; the first is a jump starter that will get your battery started (surprising isn’t it), and the other is a charger that will refill your battery 100% so that you don’t have to keep it running for a long time after you start it. Which we would add it’s not the best way to charge a battery, anyway.
Usually, however, good battery chargers do come with a jumpstarter feature, so they are a much better option overall, which is why we are going to look at some of the best battery chargers on the market.
- Battery Charger Reviews
- The Importance of Having a Car Battery Charger
- Buyer’s Guide
- Final Verdict
Battery Charger Reviews
Associated Equipments 6002B 6/12/18/24V 100/80/50/40 Amp 400 Amp Charger Cranking Assist with Wheels
Schumacher DSR131 DSR ProSeries 250 Amp(12V) 125 Amp(6V) 50 Amp 6V/12V Fully Automatic Pro Smart Battery Charger with Engine Starter, Boost, and Maintainer for Automotive Shop/Dealer Use
NOCO Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12-Volt UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter Box, Car Battery Booster Pack, Portable Power Bank Charger, and Jumper Cables for up to 6-Liter Gasoline and 3-Liter Diesel Engines
BLACK+DECKER BC15BD Fully Automatic 15 Amp 12V Bench Battery Charger/Maintainer with 40A Engine Start, Alternator Check, Cable Clamps
1. Associated Equipment 6002B
Cold temperatures are bad news for batteries, but not when the Associated Equipment 6002B battery charger is around. This durable fleet charger delivers dependable results in all-weather conditions, making it a welcomed addition to any garage or shop.
Fast charge and trickle charge settings ensure this charger is a welcomed asset that can easily power up depleted batteries and get you back out on the road.
- Amp output: Up to 80 amp continuous charge with 400 amp crank assist at 12 volts
- Charges 6V batteries: Yes
- Charges 12V batteries: Yes
- Fast charge mode: Yes
- Trickle charge: Yes
This high performance fleet charger delivers up to 80 amps of continuous charge with a 400 amp crank assist at 12 volts.
The heavy-duty vacuum impregnated transformer and patented Sub-Sil multi diode rectifiers deliver safe and dependable performance.
An automatic timer lets you set this unit to charge batteries when you are not around to keep an eye on things. The minutes charge time can be set to charge for up to 120 minutes. You can select the length of time to charge a battery and this unit will automatically turn off when the timer expires. The timer on the Associated Equipment 6002B also features a continuous charge feature which enables slow charging, also known as parallel charging or trickle charging. This means the unit will continue to slowly charge the battery and it will not turn off.
Use the boost starting mode to quickly power up a battery in five minutes. Simply connect the clamps to the terminals and select the high position and power up the unit to bring a depleted battery back to life.
When dead batteries sit for an extended period of time it is possible for them to become sulfated. A battery that is sulfated usually has a white deposit near the top of the case. Charging a sulfated battery is possible, but it takes time. The Associated Equipment 6002B can charge sulfated batteries through a two-step process and return these batteries to a fully functioning unit.
The fan cooled mechanism prevents this unit from overheating to protect both the charger and the battery while extending the longevity of the unit.
The CSA listed, all-weather design enables this battery charger to effectively and safely operate in a variety of conditions, including during the cold of winter.
The 500 amp flexi-spring clamps can be securely attached to a battery and are fully insulated for safety and peace of mind.
Automatic reset AC and DC circuit breakers allow for safe operation of this battery charger.
Safety is a constant with the Associated Equipment 6002B which boasts a patented stop and go lights for safe operation. The green light indicates when the clamps are properly connected to a battery’s terminals. The red light indicates when the connection is not correct, so you know to adjust the clamps. In the event neither light is lit, that means there may be a problem with the battery or the terminals need to be cleaned.
The dual 7” tires and heavy-duty chrome plated handle make it easy to move this unit where it is needed. The rugged tires can easily handled trips outside of a shop or garage and can navigate stone driveways or uneven surfaces. The stop or break in the front keeps the unit level and in place when stationary.
The durable housing not only protects against the elements when used outdoors, but it also protects again bumps and dings to keep the components safe.
The Associated Equipment 6002B is proudly made in the U.S.A.
The Associated Equipment 6002B measures 17” x 16” x 30” and weighs in at 70 pounds, making this unit somewhat big and on the heavy side. This unit is ideal for use around a shop, but loading it into a vehicle for use in other locations may be a hassle.
It is not very compact and the handle does not fold or retract, so a good amount of space is required for storage.
There are no cord wraps to secure the power cord or the cables, and there is no place to secure the clamps, so the cables and clamps may get in the way while moving this battery charger. It may also appear messy when not in use.
- Durable construction can handle all-weather operation
- Heavy-duty vacuum impregnated transformer
- Fan cooled- 500 amp flexi-spring clamps
- Automatic time and continuous charge setting
- Boost charge feature- Stop and go lights
- Dual 7” tires and heavy-duty chrome plated handle
- Made in the U.S.A.
- May be loud while operating
- The handle does not fold or retract
- There is no way to secure the clamps or cables
2. Optima Digital 1200 12V
The Optima Digital 1200 12V Performance Battery Charger is an outstanding battery charger that charges batteries that other chargers cannot. It has an integrated charging clamp and LED work light with nonslip grips. It even has a USB charging port that is compatible with smart phones, tablets, and cameras. It truly is made with your comfort and convenience in mind!
This battery charger has tons of great features that make it stand out in the crowd. Aside from the features mentioned above, it has a LCD battery charging gauge and quick-set solutions for easy usage.
It charges, maintains, and conditions 12V AGM and flooded batteries. It can charge batteries all the way down to 1.25V, and car audio and video programs exceeding 250 watts!
This charger is capable of charging batteries faster than any other charger on the market, and with up to two times the output! It is really ahead of its time in terms of quality and reliability.
This great charger even maximizes your batteries’ performance so you can use them again and again!
It has a built-in battery health mode, so you can check on the longevity of your batteries. It is super easy to use! It is only eight pounds, so it’s easy to pick up and maneuver.
To store it, you can hang it up with the wall organizer bracket that is included with its purchase! You can store it in your garage or mud room for future uses.
The Optima 1200 has advanced safety features that prevent sparking, so you don’t have to worry about wearing lots of protective gear when using this charger.
It can also diagnose battery faults and failures and will prevent overcharging. Using this charger will ultimately extend battery life and overall battery performance. This charger has very intelligent capabilities, and basically breaks up the sulfur in your batteries. This is what extends battery life and saves you time and money!
Some customer reviews state that their Optima 1200s read “out of range” a few months after using them. These customers had to return their chargers and get their money back, because the Optima customer service representatives could not fix the problem initially.
Some other customer reviews state that after using the Optima 1200 for a few months, the whole system just stopped working, and nothing came up on its screen. In some cases, the charger was covered under warranty, and the customers returned the charger for a full refund.
However, if the charger is not purchased directly through Optima, the company does not honor any kind of warranty, and does not provide a refund.
- Lengthens overall battery life
- LCD battery charging gauge
- LED work light with nonslip grip
- USB charging port for phones, tablets, and cameras
- Charges batteries faster than any other charger on the market
- Easy to pick up and maneuver
- Only weighs 8 pounds
- Comes with a wall organizer bracket to store it
- Prevents overcharging
- Sometimes stops working for no reason
- Its screen doesn’t read anything to help customers fix the problem
- Company doesn’t always honor the warranty
Overall, the pros outweigh the cons for the Optima 1200. Out of 735 reviews, 78% gave it five stars, 6% gave it four stars, 5% gave it three stars, 3% gave it 2 stars, and 8% gave it one star. 78% is a very high amount of people giving this product five stars!
People love this charger and know that it saves them time and money in the long run. Although some customers do admit that the charger breaks sometimes without warning, most people say that this charger lasts them for a very long time, and performs at a very high rate. It is also very easy to use. It has easy to read screen messages and buttons that will make sense to even the most inexperienced user.
If you’re looking for a battery charger that will charge all of your batteries, prevent overcharging, has a USB charging port, and is super easy to move around, this is the one for you! Lots of chargers on the market only charge specific kinds of batteries, which is very inconvenient for customers.
People don’t like buying multiple different charges for different batteries. It’s just a waste of time and money. You won’t run into that problem with the Optima 1200! Charge all of your batteries and use them time and time again! This charger will be your best bet for all of your current and future charging needs!
3. Schumacher DSR131
Make easy work of jumping batteries and powering up your vehicles with the Schumacher DSR131 6V/12V 250A ProSeries portable car battery charger.
The Schumacher DSR131 is compatible with both six volt and twelve volt batteries, for use on smaller recreational vehicles like ATVs and dirt bikes, as well as larger vehicles like SUVs and trucks.
You can also use this device to double-check batteries and alternators to ensure everything is in good working condition before heading out.
This battery charger is a great asset in a busy household with a variety of vehicles or for use in a garage or to assist a company fleet.
- Amp output: 125 amps at 6 volts, 250 amps at 12 volts
- Charges 6V batteries: Yes
- Charges 12V batteries: Yes
- Fast charge mode: Yes
- Trickle charge: Yes
This battery charger can power a variety of batteries, including standard, AGM and Gel and deep-cycle batteries along with both six volt and twelve volt batteries.
The Schumacher DSR131 is a smart battery, meaning it is controlled by a microprocessor. This enables the unit to automatically adjust the amperage rate for optimal use and will quickly and safely power up a wide variety of battery types and sizes.
The multi-stage charging feature ensures that each battery receives the optimal power and in the ideal manner to best charge and preserve the battery. This ensures the battery is powered up when you need it, but it also takes the long-term health of the battery into account.
The 50-amp burst mode quickly rejuvenates deeply discharged batteries with a quick burst of power, so you can get back to taking care of business instead of waiting for an extended period of time for the battery to charge.
The trickle charge feature allows for a slow charge over an extended period of time to maintain battery levels and prevent the battery from losing power when not in use. If left hooked up to a battery, this unit will automatically change from charge mode and go into maintenance mode, also known as float mode to prevent overcharging. This protects the battery and ensures it is ready to go when you come back to it.
The reverse hook-up protection feature protects both the Schumacher DSR131 and the battery against damage should it be improperly hooked up.
The push-button controls are easy to operate with the simple press of a button. The digital display and built-in LED indicator lights alert you to the current selection and settings for at a glance convenience.
The wheeled design and handle make it easy to move this battery charger wherever it is needed. Two stops on the front ensure the unit stays put when placed in an upright position. The handle slides down for easy storage. Easily stow the Schumacher DSR131 when not in use due to the compact size.
The Schumacher DSR131 holds a Schu Eco Energy rating, meaning it meets the highest industry standards. It is also DOE compliant for added convenience and peace of mind.
The overall construction is somewhat flimsy. It is easy to use the wheels and handle to move this battery charger around a garage, but moving it around outside, particularly if not on pavement, can be a challenge. At about 33 pounds this battery charger is not very heavy, although, if you have to routinely lift the device for use outside of a garage, it can be a hassle.
While there is a cord wrap on the back of the unit for the power cord, there is no place to secure and organize the jumper cables. The clamps can be secured to two clips located at the top back of the handle bar, but this leaves the cables loose and they can potentially be in the way if you try to move the unit. If the handle is pushed down and stowed that creates more slack on the cables and they are more likely to be in the way when the unit is stored.
The short power cord may need to be paired with an extension cord.
- Features both a handle and dual wheels for easy maneuverability
- Powerful enough for large engines, trucks and SUVs
- Works on both six and twelve volt batteries
- Smart battery is controlled by a microprocessor
- Fast charging time
- Jump starts or recharges batteries
- Built-in heavy-duty 300 amp color-coded clamps
- Built-in voltmeter
- Power cord wrap located on the back of the unit
- Comes fully assembled
- Not ideal for use in professional settings
- The overall construction is not very solid
- No easy way to secure the jumper cables when being moved or in storage
- May be loud when operating
- Wall cord is short
4. NOCO Genius G Series
When you want raw power and reliability, a charger like the ones from Schumacher is a great buy.
However, they are beset by the issue that you have to manually operate them and monitor your battery’s health to ensure that they don’t overload or overheat.
In this case, however, the NOCO Genius earns its name by being one of the most versatile and smartest chargers on the market.
First and foremost, this particular model comes in a variety of sizes.
While we are showcasing the G26000, there are seven different chargers available, starting from 0.75 amps.
That also means that smaller versions can work on 6-volt batteries, which the G26000 cannot.
So, with that in mind, be sure to pick the unit that works best for your needs.
What we like most about the NOCO Charger is that it knows how to make the most out of your battery.
Whether it’s completely dead or needs a gentle charge, it will figure all of that out automatically and adjust accordingly.
Not only will it detect the amount of amperage it needs, but it will protect against accidental reversal of the poles and will go into maintenance mode when the battery is full.
Also, it has a LED indicator that shows you its progress at it goes.While the smartness of the device is incredible, we also like its size.
It’s ultra compact and can fit into any car trunk or glove compartment, making it an excellent option for any travelers who want to keep something on hand in case of emergency.
It has a water-resistant shell and a rubberized base that won’t get scuffed or scratched and will keep the internal components safe in the event of any bumps or falls.
Overall, this is a fantastic charger to have available.
- Amp Output: 13 amps at 24 volts, 26 amps at 12 volts, 30 amp jump charge
- Charges 6v Batteries: No (other versions do)
- Charges 12v Batteries: Yes
- Fast Charge Mode: Yes
- Durable construction
- Resists scuffs and scratches
- Multiple sizes and amps available
- Works well on most vehicles
- Cars, trucks, RVs, boats, ATVs
- Charges faster than most other portable models
- Works on twelve and twenty-four-volt batteries
- Jump starts dead batteries
- Ultra-compact and lightweight design
- Water-resistant shellSpark-proof technology
- Automatic shutoff when battery is full
- Reverse polarity protectionLED charging indicator
- Works on all battery types (AGM and gel cell)Diagnoses electrical issues
- Easy-grip jumper cables
- Recovery mode capable
- Adapts to your battery’s needs
- Diagnostic tools are not always 100% accurate
- Some versions are not able to jump start all batteries
- May not work on all vehicle types and sizes
5. BLACK+DECKER BC15BD
Our final stop is with this portable charger from Black + Decker.
This particular unit is a great piece of equipment, delivering the same level of smart features as the NOCO model but at a much better price point, making this one of the best options you can find.What we like most about this charger is that everything is automatic.
No matter what kind of battery you have or what level it’s at, this machine will detect and adjust itself accordingly.
Not only that, but it will protect against accidental pole reversal as well as overloading when the battery is full.
Finally, it can run diagnostics on your alternator or jump start a battery in as little as eight minutes. Overall, you get a ton of great features with this machine.
As far as performance goes, this charger works on almost all 12-volt batteries, including AGM and gel cell models.
It has three charging options to make sure that you get the best results each time, and with up to fifteen amps of capacity, you can get your battery full in much less time.
Best of all, it has an LCD screen so you can see everything as it happens, and it has a one-touch activation so you can simply set it and walk away.
- Amp Output: 0-15 amp charging mode, 40 amp jump start
- Charges 6v Batteries: No
- Charges 12v Batteries: Yes
- Fast Charge Mode: Yes
- Durable construction
- Compact and portable design
- Three charging modes
- Automatic overload protection
- One-button charging
- 40-amp jump start
- Works on almost all batteries (AGM and gel cell)
- Bright LCD screen
- Adjusts to battery type automatically
- Reverse polarity protection
- Check alternator and battery simultaneously
- Battery recondition option
- In rare cases, the charger will only do a float charge
- In rare instances, it will say battery is charged when it is not
6. Clore Automotive Jump-N-Carry JNC660
There’s nothing worse than a dead vehicle battery no matter the weather or situation. The fact that it happens the moment you need to get somewhere is even more devastating. That’s why it’s always a great idea to have a portable jump starter handy.
Clore Automotive’s Jump-N-Carry JN660 has proven itself to be one of the most reliable jump starters on the market today, and with good reason.
Is it perfect? Not if you are looking for more features. Does it have what you need in a purpose-built device? Read on to find if it’s the right choice for you.
- 1700 Peak Amps
- 425 Cranking Amps
- Clore PROFORMER battery technology
- 46″ two gauge AWG welding cable leads
- Industrial-grade cables
- Built-in charger
- Automatic charging
- 12V DC outlet for extra accessories.
- 1 year limited manufacturer warranty
- With the ability to quickly deliver starting power, you should have no worries about the Jump-N-Carry JN660 not being able to get your car started. Those specs alone will also give you plenty of confidence if you need to jump start a big SUV or even some larger diesel-powered vehicles.
- With jumper cable lengths at nearly four feet long (46 inches), the high-quality two-gauge cables give you plenty of reach when you need it, especially for today’s tall SUVs and pickup trucks.
- The spark-free cable ends ensure safety, while the cables are wrapped in heavy duty weather proof insulation and tuck away quite nicely around the unit’s wrap handles.
- The Jump-N-Carry JN660 is lightweight at 18 pounds, so it’s more than easy enough to keep charged and left in a dry space in your garage.
- The plastic construction of the unit guarantees corrosion resistance, giving you extra peace of mind, and every part including the battery is replaceable.
- There are no extras such as a built in air compressor.
- A safety feature like reverse-polarity detection to make sure the jump starter is properly connected would be nice.
- The one year warranty is not only pathetic but rather shocking to see in this day and age. Most jump starters in this price range come with at least a five year warranty.
The Jump-N-Carry JN660 is beloved by auto mechanics and customers alike. What it lacks in features it more than makes up for in power and reliability. As long as you remember that this is a purpose-built jump starter then you definitely won’t be disappointed.
7. Battery Tender Plus
Just about every vehicle owner has had their battery die on them. It’s also universally agreed that the situation sucks. But before you head off to buy a new battery, you might want to consider getting a battery maintainer first.
Why? Because a maintainer such as the Battery Tender Plus can charge and maintain your battery for longer and keep it in tip top condition thanks to its smart features. Read on for our review.
- Senses ambient temperature to ensure optimum charge voltage.
- Auto switches from fully charging to maintenance mode.
- Reverse Polarity Protection safety feature.
- Uses 4-steps to charge and keep your battery properly conditioned.
- Is compatible with lead-acid, flooded and sealed maintenance free batteries.
- Has a 72-hr safety timer.
- The 12-Volt Battery Tender Plus’ greatest feature comes from its ability to manage specific voltages thanks to the built in smart software. Unlike a regular battery charger, a maintainer like the Battery Tender Plus is able to shut down when the battery is properly charged to avoid overcharging.
- Another benefit is that the unit can switch from charging to “maintenance mode” to extend battery life. The Battery Tender Plus uses a four-phase method for charging and maintaining a vehicle battery which will save you money over time.
- The software inside the Tender Plus is capable of realizing what type of battery is connected to it, adjusting voltage as needed.
- The body is made from rugged plastic, and weighing around three pounds can be taken or stored anywhere.
- The Battery Tender Plus has a good amount of safety features including reverse polarity protection.
- It also comes with a full 10 year warranty, giving you lots of confidence when you invest in this product.
- It’s nice to see that the Tender Plus comes with both ring-style and alligator charging clips.
- The alligator clips seem to fit a little tight for standard size batteries, so be careful when installing them.
Although some have reported quality issues with the device in the past, they seemed to have been addressed. There are several reasons the Battery Tender Plus continues to receive high ratings from customers.
Being rugged, versatile and easy to use keeps this battery charger and maintainer at or near the top of its competition. Add to that the fantastic 10 year warranty and it’s easy to see why the Battery Tender Plus should be in your shopping cart.
The Importance of Having a Car Battery Charger
At some point, your battery will lose its charge and renders your vehicle unusable. Unless you always carry a spare everywhere, having a dead battery can be disastrous. Let’s explore the reasons why a car battery charger is a must-own tool.
Prevent Changing the Batteries Yourself
Replacing a standard lead-acid battery isn’t necessarily a difficult task, but it might be time-consuming depending on the design of your car. In standard vehicles, changing the battery only requires disconnecting the clamps, removing the old unit, mounting the new one, and reconnecting the parts.
However, high-end hybrid cars require more effort and tools for battery gear4wheels1-20nt. You need to navigate a series of components before you can remove the battery.
You can save yourself from the trouble with a charger. You won’t have to remove too many parts to give your battery a charge. This can be significantly handy if you’re stuck in a location with limited resources.
For instance, if your battery lost all of its charges in the parking area, you can still drive your car home once the charger finishes its task.
Compatible With Other Devices
Modern car battery chargers are equipped with additional ports designed for other devices. USB and smartphone slots are usually available. This way, you won’t always have to bring a separate portable charger during trips.
These devices don’t consume too much charge due to the size of their battery.
A high-quality car battery charger can be expensive but it’s a worthy investment in the long term.
For starters, not replacing the battery means not spending money on a new one. Also, you may avoid labor fees whenever a professional removes the old and mount a new battery.
A car battery charger can be either manual or automatic.
You must keep an eye on the charging process while using a manual charger. To avoid overcharging, you must turn off or disconnect the charger, and they often offer a lesser total battery charge.
On the other hand, an automatic charger will manage the entire charging process. When it is fully charged, it won’t collect electricity anymore.
If you want to do other activities while waiting for the charging to be completed, you’re better off using an automatic charger. However, it usually has a higher price tag than a manual car battery charger.
A charger’s amperage refers to the amount of current that it can manage.
If a car battery charger has a higher amperage, it allows faster charging. On the other hand, lower amperage means a slower operation.
While a higher amperage appears to be the better choice, you should still evaluate which is best for your car’s battery.
Some batteries may benefit from a slower charging pace.
The voltage is the measurement of a charger’s electric power. It’s what we look for to determine if a charger is capable of supplying power to a battery without any issues.
Determining the correct voltage for your battery is straightforward. Most cars are designed with a 12-volt system. Therefore, you’ll need a 12-volt charger, which is one of the common varieties.
However, if you’re looking for a more versatile charger, it would be available at a higher price than standard models.
After checking out these various chargers, we have two that we like better than the rest.
First, we love the raw power that comes with the Schumacher SE-8050, which is ideal for anyone who needs a reliable charger that will last for some long years. If you run a shop, this really is the charger you want to get.
Second, for those who don’t need a giant workhorse but still want something reliable and versatile, the Black + Decker BC15BD is the best portable battery charger I’ve seen.
It has much better features and benefits overall and is an indispensable piece of equipment to keep for your car.
Alright so these were my picks as the best car battery chargers!