Today, we are going to take a look at the five best electric garage heaters on the market to help you find the perfect choice for your needs and budget.
From some low-consumption and low price point units like the Dr. Heater 966 to some industrial-level units that are what you’ll need if you have a big badass garage.
Let’s check them out!
1. Fahrenheat Ceiling-Mount FUH724
The Fahrenheat Ceiling-Mount garage heater is an incredibly powerful and effective unit for keeping your workspace warm in cooler months.
This unit made it as one of the very best choices overall on our list of the best heaters of the year (including other interesting choices such as propane and natural gas)
- Material: The cabinet has an epoxy coating finish to protect the materials on the unit from corroding.
- Watts: 7,500 watts
- Thermostat Control: built-in automatic shut-off
- Ease of installation: This model comes with a ceiling mounting bracket so that you can easily mount your bracket for horizontal or vertical flow, and anything in between
The cabinet has an epoxy coating finish to it, so that it is incredibly resistant to corrosion and wear.
It has 7,500 watts of power, which is plenty enough to heat and maintain your standard two car garage.
This is some serious power draw however so maybe you want to do some back-of-the-envelope math using this tool to estimate how expensive it’ll be to use.
This model gives you thermostat control which features an automatic shut-off when your garage reaches the desired temperature, and will automatically kick back on when the temperature starts to change.
That way you can maintain your desired temp.
- Really easy to install and set up
- Epoxy coating that max the unit resistant to corrosion and wear
- Accurate thermostat and temperature sensitivity for maintaining the desired temp.
- Powerful heating capacity at 7,500 watts
- This electric heater uses a lot of energy and can run up your energy bill easily
2. King KBP2406
This model of electric heater is built entirely in the United States and has a built in thermostat that lets you easily control the temperature of your garage.
- Material: Steel.
- Heater power : up to 600 square feet.
- Watts: 5,700 Watts
- Thermostat Control: The thermostat on this model of heater let’s you easily choose the temperature that you want to keep your garage at. You can use the thermostat dial to select the temperature by the degree.
- Ease of installation: Comes with a universal wall/ceiling mounting bracket that makes it easy to install.
This is great for using in your residential garage, and it also works for commercial use as well.
What you will really enjoy about this model is that the built in thermostat has degrees labeled on the dial, so that you can precisely dial in the temperature to exactly where you want it.
- Custom thermostat control that lets you pick the exact temperature that you want to heat your garage to.
- Can effectively heat up to 600 square feet
- Compact design that is easy to mount and install to either your wall or ceiling
- Provides a powerful 5,700 watts of heating capacity
- The wiring diagram isn’t clear and takes some figuring out or an expert to install it
- For bigger spaces, you may need two of these
3. Fahrenheat FUH54
This powerful and compact heater is great for garages, workshops, basements and outside buildings.
- Material: This model is made from durable steel and has a beige finish to it.
- Watts: 5,000 Watts
- Thermostat Control: This heater has a low to high thermostat dial that lets you easily choose the temperature that you want to set to.
- Ease of installation: The horizontal/vertical adjustable brackets make it really easy to install this unit.
This a heavy-duty and rugged industrial heater that is built to heat cool spaces with ease.
It provides 5,000 watts of power, and has a built-in ceiling/wall bracket that you can easily use to mount your electric heater horizontally or vertically.
This heater has adjustable louvers that pushes direct heat to the desired area.
Here’s a great video on how to install it like a pro!
- The brackets on this heater make it really easy to mount and install
- Thermostat control that lets you dial in your heater to the temperature that you want
- This model provides a solid 5,000 watts of power for heating your garage or outdoor workspace
- Perfect for heating your standard two car garage or the equivalent sized space
- Does not provide exact temperatures on the thermostat, so you have to guess with where you set the temperature
- Some of these models appeared to be poorly assembled
4. Cadet RCP402S
This portable space heater by Cadet is perfect for moving around to exactly where you need it, when you need to move it.
- Material: This is a durable steel portable heater with cool red finish.
- Watts: 4,000 Watts (ideal for smaller rooms)
- Thermostat Control: The thermostat on this model doesn’t provide a lot of specificity, but it does give you the choice of a high or low setting that lets you adjust the heater based on the temperature of your garage.
- Ease of installation: This unit is really easy to install to your wall, or you can keep it unmounted so that you can take it around with you.
This is a small unit that is perfect for use in shops and garages, and is best used directly in the space that you are occupying.
It provides 4,000 watts of heating power to keep you warm.
The nice aspect of this heater is that it provides plenty of versatility.
You can either keep it portable and not mount it so you can take it with you anywhere, or you can mount it to give it a more permanent location.
- This heater gives you the versatility of either making it a permanent fixture in your garage by mounting it to your wall, or you can keep it portable
- Has a temperature control setting that lets you choose high or low heat
- Has the option for a fan mode on the controls
- Comes with a six foot power cable
- Provides 4,000 watts of heating power
- Does not come with the brackets so that you can mount it to your ceiling
5. Dr. Heater DR966
This heater is a heavy-duty 240 volt, single phase, 3,000/6,000 watt commercial electric unit.
- Material: This model is made of high quality steel for durability and support, and finished with a grey epoxy for added protection.
- Watts: This model is has 3,000/6,000 watts of power
- Thermostat Control: The thermostat control on this electric garage heater doesn’t give you precise control over the temperature, but does give you the choice to select either high or low heat.
- Ease of installation: The brackets make this model really easy to install on either your wall or ceiling.
For the amount of power that it provides, this is actually one of the most compact models that we are looking at today.
This unit comes hardwired, but a power cord is not included with your purchase unfortunately.
The brackets on this unit allow you to easily mount it to either the wall or the ceiling.
It uses an adjustable thermostat to control the heat output, and 5 louvers to control the direction of the heat.
- The brackets make this really easy to install anywhere in your garage or workspace-
- Provides plenty of power to heat your garage or work area
- Has a high/low thermostat control for dialing in your temperature
- Gives you 3,000/6,000 watts of power
- Has 5 louvers that let you control the direction of the heat
- Does not have a specific thermostat, so you have to play the guessing game with the temperature.
6. Dr. Infrared Heater with Plug
For those looking for a budget-friendly but effective garage heater, the Dr. Infrared DR-988 is one of the best available options. From small construction site projects to DIY activities in the basement, this heater serves its users in many ways.
- Material: Red steel exterior with a front safety grille to help prevent accidental burning.
- Watts: 5600
- Thermostat Control: 45-95 degree accurate electronic thermostat with a dial control button.
- Ease of installation: This unit is one of the easiest ones when it comes to any kind of set-up. Simply plug in the heater and you are all set. It also comes with a handle to add portability.
With the exterior grille, completely enclosed motor and overheat protection, this unit is one of the safest ones to use compared to others in its class.
While not the most powerful heater on the market, the 5,600 watts it cranks out should be enough to handle most smaller projects. The thermostat is also easy to use and will maintain whatever temperature you set automatically. The overheat protection is a nice feature here as well as that will add longevity to the heater.
The Dr. Infrared DR-998 heats any room it’s in quickly and evenly, providing fast and consistent warmth through its fan.
One flaw with this unit, however, is the fact that it cannot be mounted. There is no way to use brackets and attach this thing to a wall or ceiling. Instead, it must be on a flat surface with its box-like design. The portability of the unit helps make up for this, but it would still be nice to be able to mount it for convenience purposes.
- Heats quickly and evenly
- Easy installation
- Customer reviews include issues with longevity
- Louder/noisier than comparable fans
- Not mountable
This heater certainly is not the best of its kind, but it’s toward the top of the list. It is perfect for those small to medium-sized projects and is very easy to move around a larger worksite if need be. Some of the long-term issues mentioned with this seem to be few and far between. The filter is easy to clean on this, as owners can either use water or a normal vacuum. Plus, the unit does come with a one year warranty. Dr. Infrared is a trusted name in the heater industry and makes quality products. The DR-998 is no exception and should provide great value for any buyer.
7. NewAir G56 5600 Watt Garage Heater
The NewAir G56 5600 Watt Garage Heater is a great option for those looking to stay warm while they work. While not designed for massive construction sites, this unit is perfect for workshops, garages and other small to midsize work areas.
- Material: The motor is full enclosed inside a steel exterior with a grille covering the front of the heater to prevent accidental burning. The exterior uses a black powder-coated finish.
- Watts: 5600
- Thermostat Control: The thermostat features manual controls with a 45-95 degree range and automatically maintains whatever temperature you set it to.
- Ease of installation: Setup is as easy as it gets. Set the heater on a flat surface, plug it in, and it will be good to go.
This heater is very similar to the Dr. Infrared DR-998. The design of both heaters is borderline identical. Plus, they feature the same wattage and are best used for the same kind of small project areas. The NewAir G56 can heat up to 800 square feet, however, while the Dr. Infrared unit can only reach up to about 600 square feet. Similar to the DR-998, the NewAir G56 utilizes a safe, portable design that is made to help prevent users from burning themselves. A thermal cut-off system is also in place to ensure the unit does not overheat. Heat is also emitted from an interior fan, which is also enclosed.
Users must ensure that they have the right outlets for the unit as it features a 3-pronged, 240V plug. As mentioned, it is a portable unit that uses a handle at the top of the unit that allows for easy transfer around a worksite.
- Easy set-up and use
- User-friendly thermostat control
- Very safe design
- Covers 800 square feet
- Long-term quality concerns
- Non-mountable design
- Can run up an energy bill
It’s best to just be reasonable and realistic with your expectations of this heater. This unit works best when used for just trying to bring some warmth into a smaller work area. If users are looking to bring this to a huge construction site or single-handedly power a “man-cave” in the garage, they will be disappointed and staring at a costly electric bill. For those just looking to do some at-home work while trying to stay warm during the colder months, this will work perfectly.
Out of all the choices that we have presented today, we could most highly recommend the Fahrenheat FUH724 as the best electric garage heater in this review.
A few of the biggest reasons that we like this model the most is that it has an adjustable thermostat, tons of power, and an automatic shut-off function to keep your garage or workspace balanced at the perfect temperature.