One distinct feature all new cars have is that shiny and glossy look. If you're an owner of a new car you must feel proud having this aesthetically pleasing look.
You can have this look for more than a couple of months after the purchase. You can have it for years and it starts from the first time you wash your new car.
Your new car needs to be waxed to maintain the shine and for other protective benefits.
Why should new cars be waxed?
Once your car leaves the dealership, the exterior wear and tear process begins. When you wax your car from the first car wash, you slow this process. (Here are my recommendations on the best car waxes)
Some new cars actually get no form of protection applied to the paint at the factory or dealership. Though the clear coat is what makes the car shine it doesn’t necessarily protect it from environmental impact.
This clear coat also needs protecting which is why you need to wax your new car. If you want the protection immediately you can apply the paint on the first or couple days after the purchase.
Besides maintaining the new look, car wax is the best form of protection against most environmental impacts.
Wax your new car after the next time you wash it if you want to reap the following benefits:
- Protection from airborne contaminants. Bugs and acid rain can stick to a vehicle's paint and can ultimately scratch it. If your new vehicle has a wax layer it prevents these contaminates sticking onto the car’s paint
- The wax around your car acts as a reflective layer against the sun’s rays. The wax acts as a reflective layer which prevents the sun from discoloring your car’s paint
- Wax can repair sun damage and give back the shine lost
- A wax layer makes water droplets glide off the car. This prevents the occurrence of hard water spots. Why is this so important? Because they’re difficult to remove if your car is unwaxed. It’s better to be pro-active
- It’s easier to wash your car if there is a wax layer. Airborne contaminants or water spots hardly stick to the car. Any spec of dirt can be simply wiped away. This saves you time and energy
- Reduces the cost of repairs. Your car won't have any scratches or sun damage. This saves you money because you don’t need to refinish your car within a year from purchase
How often should you apply wax to your car?
Applying wax to your car is the best way to protect the coat and paint job from harsh elements such as rain or debris. Wax is durable and doesn’t easily fade. You can wax your car three to four times a year.
Plan when you want to wax your car. The best time is in spring before the summer, and fall before the winter. This protects the car’s paint from the harsh sun rays and the winter’s harsh conditions.
There are two ways to determine if your car needs a new layer of wax:
How did your car fare in these tests?
How to effectively wax your new car
Follow these tips to effectively wax your car:
- Make sure you have the proper items:
- Wash or remove all contaminants from your car. This prevents you from smearing them in which can cause scratches. Wipe your car with the microfiber towel to prevent water spots
- Place your car in the shade to prevent the wax from drying too quickly
- Once your car is clean and dry apply a thin wax layer in a vertical or horizontal method to prevent swirls
- Make sure the wax is applied evenly and buff the wax off with the microfiber towel when finished
The entire process should take approximately one hour depending on the size of your car.