For those who are exclusively iPhone users and want to install a backup/reverse camera, this is going to be your best choice for a double-DIN head unit with integrated GPS navigation. Here’s what I love and dislike about the AVIC-6200NEX
Related : Best Double Din Head Unit Of 2019
- A 6.2” resistive touchscreen display with DVD/and CD playback capability is where the good stuff starts for this head unit.
- Apple CarPlay makes using your iPhone hands free fast and easy with this head unit, and Siri Eyesfree operation is a built-in feature right out of the box. Android users can take advantage of AppRadio mode, and iOS fans will enjoy onscreen built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad controls.
- Maps of the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico come preinstalled and can be updated via USB flash as needed. Free traffic updates in major cities, voice turn-by-turn directions, lane guidance, speed limit warnings, and manual map zoom are all included standard.
- In addition to playing CDs and DVDs, the AVIC-6200NEX also allows you play lossless FLAC audio files, features a 13 band EQ with presets, and can even be upgraded using a CD-MC20 mic from Pioneer for Auto EQ capabilities.
The crossover points are also adjustable for fine tuning your amplifier outputs as well. Advanced sound Retriever and Pioneer MIXTRAX are also standard options for this head unit, as well as dual-zone A/V output for headrest or rear seat displays.
- Add satellite radio, HDMI devices, and speaker and subwoofer amplifiers thanks to the numerous pre-amp audio outputs.
- AS with the AVIC-8200, firmware needs to be updated as soon as you have finished installing and connecting your head unit.
As with any advanced double-DIN headunit, there are firmware issues and bugs that have long since been rectified in manufacturer updates. Just download the free updates from Pioneer’s website and install them on your headunit using a blank 2GB flash drive.
- The lack of Android Auto on this head unit means that Android users are going to get a sub-par experience no matter how you slice it. The features integration and functionality of this head unit are heavily weighted towards being more Apple friendly than Droid friendly.
- Update your maps ASAP to ensure that you are getting the latest and best directions no matter where you travel.
- So, the internal amplifier on this unit is not going to win many car audio competitions in terms of power. Those looking for strong audio performance and power should definitely invest in an amp and possibly a subwoofer amp and bass box kit to take full advantage of this head unit.
- Still very much a pay-to-play model for satellite radio and factory steering wheel controls integration. It is well worth the extra expense if these features are important to you, however they can make an already difficult installation significantly more challenging.
- Excellent quality touchscreen display with GPS navigation and DVD/CD playback
- CarPlay integration for Apple iOD products.
- 6-channel preamp outs for speaker and subwoofer amps
- Low power speaker out for internal amplification
- Firmware needs to be updated immediately after installation for an optimal user experience
- Android smartphone and mobile device users may have a subpar user experience with the lack of Android Auto integration
- Resistive touchscreen displays do not function as accurately or reliably as capacitive touchscreens