Polk Audio is an American corporation founded by Matthew Polk, George Klopfer and Sandy Gross in 1972 Baltimore, Maryland.
Polk Audio is best known for its affordable car audio speaker products.
This range of products includes car amplifier systems.
During all its years, Polk Audio has strived to continuously be the best and to elevate the sound experience of all its customers.
Polk Audio is a corporation that understands that products are always evolving and that technology needs to be constantly updated.
The engineers constantly do research and develop innovative products that can’t be matched by Polk Audio’s competitors.
No matter what product you buy from Polk Audio, you will experience the benefits of these efforts to improve car audio technology.
Polk Audio Speakers Series.
The MM1 series stands for Mobile Monitor series.
This is the next generation of speakers, designed and manufactured to chase perfection.
The construction of this fine machinery was done so customers can enjoy:
- Ultimate audio with exceptional sonic detail
- Quality materials
- Durable products
This series is engineered with advanced materials and mechanics to provide exceptionally high-performance sound while also having exceptional power-handling features.
These MM1 products are ultra-marine certified; this means they’re waterproof.
This feature is thanks to weep holes for proper drainage and titanium-plated cones that afford durable protection.
The DB+ Subs are space saving, yet they provide advanced deep bass tones.
The differentiating factor of these DB+ products is that they fit into most vehicles, even boats, and reportedly, people also install them on certain motorbikes.
A unique selling point is that the speakers don’t discolor or degrade over time.
These units in Polk Audio’s range are also marine certified, making Polk Audio the ideal company to trust with sound accessories for boats.
Products are constructed to withstand dirt and water; this also protects and minimizes corrosion.
This technology has proven to resist the damaging effects of:
- Salt fog
- UV lighting
In terms of sound, the new, improved technology offers dynamic bass sounds and a golden thread enables low, mid and high frequencies, making this series suitable to produce all genres of music.
Polk Audio Speakers Reviews
1. Polk Audio MM6502
These Marine-certified 6.5 Inch car speakers are a fantastic upgrade for anything you'll need to put new speakers on (be it a car or a boat!)
- Sensitivity: 93 dB
- RMS: 125 Watts
- Peak Power: 375 Watts
- Frequency Response: 35-40,000 Hz
- 2way/3way/4way: 2-way Component
This speaker is made to provide a sonic sound for its users.
Not only do these speakers handle power well, but it’s constructed from the finest materials which makes it durable to last you a lifetime.
A basket made from fiberglass
Inner and outer surrounds protect the unit, insulating it against temperature spikes and improving the speaker’s ability to produce quality sound
Grilles keep the speakers from being damaged, especially when installed within range of people moving around in a car
Exceptional technology is used in the design of the speaker.
The woofer cone is designed to allow for an intense distribution of bass tones.
The woofer also provides a surround sound feel, because of the way this component distributes the music.
You’ll have almost no distortion, thanks to the excellent technology used during its production.This product includes woofers, tweeters and crossovers.
This is everything you need to create the ultimate sound experience in your car. At 2.62” the mounting depth is of average proportions.
Make sure your available space allows for this before you start installation; if you don’t have the available space, you may have to look at customizing your vehicle.
- Can be used in many different vehicles and boats
- The set includes everything need for installation such as brackets, screws and grilles
- Excellent frequency response that supports very low and high tones too
- You need the help of an expert installer, as the installation process can be tricky
2. Polk Audio DB6501
Once this speaker is installed, you will experience exceptional clarity and balanced sound.
There is an advanced range of sounds ranging from as low as 35 Hz. All these sounds are produced in high quality.
This type of speaker provides a great improvement from factory speakers.
The best is that you can customize the sound settings to fit the type of setup you prefer.
- Sensitivity: 92 dB
- RMS: 100 watts
- Peak Power: 300 watts
- Frequency Response: 35-23,000 Hz
- 2way/3way/4way: 2-Way
Unfortunately, this speaker doesn’t handle power as the brand advertises. You can take a chance and connect it to amplifiers, but you do run a risk of blowing the speaker.
This speaker set includes woofers, tweeters, speakers and crossovers.
You need to find space to install all these components.
It’s problematic to neatly install separate crossovers, though Polk Audio tries to assist in this regard by offering vented crossover housings.
- It’s easy to install with little to no alterations needed
- The set includes all materials you need for installation
- The speaker doesn’t rattle when you drive, even when the volume is on high
- Ideal for convertibles, because of the powerful sound and it blocks out the wind when you’re driving
- Even without an amplifier, the bass tones are surprisingly powerful
- Some clients complain that parts deteriorate soon after purchase
- Volume range lacks because higher volumes cause distortion
- This system isn’t easy to install even though the manufacturers claim it should be
- The tweeters’ high tones can sound quite harsh. You may need professional help to modify this so your favorite music sounds warm and easy on the ear
3. Polk Audio DB351
There is a huge sound improvement once you change your factory speakers for these. These speakers work well with the stock stereo and it receives a sufficient amount of power from it.
These are 3.5 Inch speakers which will fit nicely in most dashboards.
There is precision in the vocal sound coming from these speakers, making it pleasing to hear.
- Sensitivity: 91 dB
- RMS: 35 Watts
- Peak Power: 105 Watts
- Frequency Response: 90-22,000 Hz
- 2way/3way/4way: 2-Way
Over time, once these speakers have gone through the break-in phase where you customize the settings, you can experience them at their optimum potential.
The speaker itself is of compact size, making it fit well in the speaker socket.
However, the tweeters are positioned too high; they create a bulge when the cover and grille is on, and this can cause damage or distortion.
In addition, the magnet attached to the speaker is very large, and this makes it difficult to fit into many standard speaker sockets.
- The set includes bass blockers which will eliminate obtrusive sounds
- The harness or mount kit is expertly designed. It fits into most vehicles
- These speakers can be installed on boats. After being used in wet conditions they are still completely functional
- 50 watts can potentially be pushed through each speaker without any deterioration in the sound quality
- No instructions provided on how to install the bass blockers
- High frequencies and excess power tend to cause distortion
- Faulty tweeter and magnet design
4. Polk Audio DB691
What you would find truly impressive with regards to these speakers, is that it can be installed on a motor bike and the sound quality is still as terrific as if it were installed in a vehicle.
This speaker handles supplied power well, without causing distortion. If you hook them up to an amplifier, they will reach their optimum potential.
These are 6 by 9 inch speakers which is the biggest size Polk Audio manufactures on their automotive branch.
- Sensitivity: 93 dB
- RMS: 100 Watts
- Peak Power: 300 Watts
- Frequency Response: 35-22,000 Hz
- 2way/3way/4way: 3-way
The units are also mostly waterproof; you can still enjoy their functionality after long periods of using them in wet conditions.
However, take note that the installation hardware isn’t very strong. Handle it with care so it doesn’t break during installation.
You also need to use additional material to keep the speaker in place after installation because the cones are thin and therefore don’t fit snugly into the speaker sockets.
This design also prevents bass tones from being correctly distributed.
- This speaker can fit your budget without you compromising on sound quality
- Exceptional power handling potential
- Low-quality hardware is used
- The crossover used is better suited for coaxial speakers
You’ll love using Polk Audio speakers in your vehicles and if you have a boat, this is the brand you need to turn to.
Polk Audio has been around long enough to prove that it can provide all the sound market expects.
With many trusting supporters—and maybe you joining their ranks—they will be around for a long time to come.
Try their state-of-the-art units to upgrade your car’s sound today.